In the 2015 Navigating the Shift publication, SETDA identified the following essential conditions necessary for the successful acquisition and implementation of digital resources to support learning. These conditions remain relevant.
- State Leadership: State and local leadership is vital for developing a shared vision, empowering leaders and cultivating a culture of collaboration and innovation for digital learning environments.
- Equity of Access: Both high-speed broadband and device access, in and out of school, are critical to fully implementing digital instructional materials to support college and career goals.
- Accessibility for All Students: Providing accessibility for all students must be a consideration when acquiring, developing and implementing digital instructional materials.
- Interoperability Considerations: The acquisition of complementary systems that work together is a necessary condition to efficiently implement digital instructional materials and resources and maximize the benefits of those resources.
- Student Data and Privacy: Developing and enforcing policies that supplement federal laws to protect the privacy, security and confidentiality of student data is of critical importance.