Tool Kit Overview
This tool kit will help you educate school and district administrators, policy makers and the private sector on the flexibility of state policies related to the acquisition of digital instructional materials.
Key components of the tool kit include:
- Project Background
- Talking Points
- Social Media
- Powerpoint Deck
- Supporting Documents
Navigating the Digital Shift: Through a survey and independent research, SETDA gathered details for all 50 states, Guam, and the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) regarding state policies and guidelines for the acquisition, vetting, and funding of instructional materials. In addition, SETDA interviewed lead educators from a variety of educational and governmental organizations, state instructional materials leads and state procurement officers. The full publication strives to inform educators, non-traditional instructional materials publishers, technology developers, and investors on the increasingly supportive environment of states with respect to innovation around digital instructional materials.
Digital Instructional Materials Acquisition Policies for States (DMAPS): Launched in October 2015, the goal of the DMAPS portal is to provide a clear picture of each state’s instructional materials policies and practices to help encourage increased implementation of digital learning. Educators, policy makers and private sector executives have the opportunity to learn about state policies and practices regarding the procurement and implementation of instructional materials, including the ability to access individual state profiles.
SETDA encourages educators and policymakers to support the shift to digital instructional materials strategically. This often entails meeting with regional and district education leaders to talk about key points:
- Discuss the essential conditions necessary for the successful acquisition and implementation of digital instructional materials for successful digital learning: Leadership, Equity of Access, Accessibility for All Students, Interoperability Considerations and Student Data & Privacy.
- Discuss ways to make the procurement process more transparent, and develop specific procedures to aid educators and the private sector in navigating the process.
- Consider strategic short- and long-term budgeting for bandwidth, devices, and digital instructional materials.
- Consider coordinating state purchasing contracts and/or other purchasing consortia
- Provide guidance for schools and districts regarding best practices related to instructional materials adoption
- Discuss the importance of professional learning for educators when implementing digital learning.
- Recommend vetting practices for any instructional materials regardless of delivery platform or licensing type
- DMAPS offers the opportunity to view details regarding individual states and national trends via an interactive map. The site includes multiple topics related to digital instructional materials including guidelines and policies, procurement, funding, digital learning resources and vetting.
- Key site features of the DMAPS site include: state trends via heat map; comparison of up to 5 states by topic; and the ability to print individual state profiles or download spreadsheets by topic area.
Social media is an important component in promoting “Navigating the Shift.”
Sample Tweets and Facebook Posts
- Check out this new free interactive portal regarding state policies and practices for K12 instructional materials from @SETDA! www.www-setda-org.www.setda.org
- Learn about some of the state exemplars #digitalinstructionalmaterials from @SETDA http://www-setda-org.www.setda.org/exemplars/
- Check out the DMAPS portal to view national trends via interactive map from @SETDA! www.www-setda-org.www.setda.org
- Learn more about our state profile for #digitalinstructionalmaterials from @SETDA [insert link to your state profile]
You can customize the presentation for different audiences.
Digital Instructional Materials Acquisition Process Infographic: This infographic depicts the K12 instructional materials acquisition process. We encourage you to share this infographic and use it in newsletters, websites, and other publications.
Navigating the Digital Shift: Mapping the Acquisition of Digital Instructional Materials Research Paper: This research paper provides an analysis of state policy trends related to digital instructional materials, essential conditions for implementation, an update on the states’ progress towards SETDA’s Out of Print recommendations and highlights several next steps for consideration as leaders move to advance the learning experiences in the digital age.
Navigating the Digital Shift – Overview Document: This trifold document provides an overview of the Navigating the Digital Shift research paper and the DMAPS online database. Key components include the executive summary, state policy highlights, and state and district exemplars from the research papers, as well as an introduction to the DMAPS portal. The document also includes an infographic depicting the K12 instructional materials acquisition process.