Monday, October 23, 2017 – Education Forum
Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center, 201 Waterfront Street, National Harbor, MD 20745
The Education Forum is an invitation only event, open to SETDA state and affiliate members, Platinum and Gold Private Sector Partners, Channel Partners and SETDA VIP guests.
For information on how your company can become engaged with SETDA’s membership at the Leadership Summit, please contact Melissa Greene at email@example.com.
As part of the Summit, SETDA hosts the one-day Education Forum, an event to shine a spotlight on the full scope of the digital transformation of policy and practice underway in K-12 education. The Ed Forum includes guests from the executive leadership from national educational organizations, policy makers and representatives from think-tanks and various federal agencies to attend and participate as keynote speakers, panelists and working group participants.
7:30 am – 8:00 am – Continental Breakfast
8:00 am – Welcome
- Dr. Tracy Weeks, Executive Director, SETDA
- Todd Lawrence, Idaho Department of Education
- John Branam , Executive Director, Sprint 1Million Project
8:15 am – Keynote
Hadi Partovi, Founder and CEO, code.org
8:45 am – Plenary Panel: Personalizing Learning in the Digital Age
- Sarah Young, Coordinator for Digital Teaching and Learning, Utah State Board of Education
- Bridget Foster, Managing Director, ETIN, Education Technology Industry Network of SIIA
- Avril Smart, Research and Engagement Manager for Future Ready Schools®, Alliance for Excellent Education
10:00 am – 11:15 am – Spotlight on States: Concurrent Panel Discussions
These sessions offer the opportunity for panelists and participants to engage in dialogue related to specific topics critical to improving student learning experiences.
- Ensuring Equitable Access for All Learners
- Shifting Learning Models: Critical Elements to Support Personalization
- Strategies for Educator Effectiveness for Personalized learning
- Maximizing Policies to Support Digital Learning Opportunities
11:15 am – 11:30 am – Break
11:30 am – 12:30 pm – Plenary Panel: Personalized Learning in Rural Schools
- Sigrid Olson, Technology Integration Specialist. Vermont Agency of Education
- Allen Pratt, National Rural Education Association, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- John Windhausen, Jr., Executive Director, SHLB Coalition
12:30 pm – 2:30 pm – Luncheon and Plenary Presentation
Speaker: Jason Botel, Acting Secretary for Elementary and Secondary Education & Principal Deputy for Elementary and Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education
Student Voices Award: Mountain Heights Academy, Utah
- DeLaina Tonks, Director, Mountain Heights Academy
- Lora Gibbons, Teacher, Mountain Heights Academy
- Donna Trane, Student, Mountain Heights Academy
- Kyana Trane, Student, Mountain Heights Academy
- Kate Larson, Student, Mountain Heights Academy
2:30 pm – 3:00 pm – Break
3:00 – 4:30 – Edcamp Style Leadership Discussions
Developed and selected by the participants, topics may include but are not limited to equity of access, ESSA, professional learning, competency based education, online assessments, gaming, coding, AEM, Title IIA or STEM.