SETDA in the News: January 2015 Round Up
January 2015 brought lots of renewed energy and excitement to SETDA. At the beginning of the month, the Board of Director’s announced a new interim executive director Lan Neugent. Lan recently retired as the Assistant Superintendent for Technology, Career and Adult Education at the Virginia Department of Education. Under his direction, Technology, Career and Adult Education Division units provided technical support for other departmental divisions, liaison with other state agencies, and support for local educational agencies. Major division initiatives include online testing, adult literacy programming, open educational resources development, technology best practices, longitudinal data system implementation, career training and industry certifications and virtual school programming. Lan is a former Chair of SETDA’s Board of Directors, Federal Policy Committee Chair and most recently a SETDA Board member; he has over 10 years of experience with SETDA.
Also in January, we hosted a launch webinar to highlight our newest web resource – The Guide to Implementing Digital Learning (GIDL), a free web-based resource to support school and district leaders as they work to ensure that investments in digital learning spark positive results. GIDL includes six topic areas: planning, professional learning, content and software, broadband, devices and tech support. Each topic’s section includes background information, key considerations for implementation, resources and exemplars of digital learning in action. The webinar is archived on our website. Be sure to visit the Guide to Implementing Digital Learning today and don’t forget to share this fabulous resource with your colleagues!
Here is a snapshot of some of the news stories referencing SETDA news and views during the last month –
- District Administration: Outlook on technology: Safety at high speed
- District Administration: Locking Down Student Data
- Edweek: Draft of President Obama’s Student-Data-Privacy Bill Raises Questions
- District Administration: Outlook on Technology: Safety at High Speed
- T.H.E. Journal: SETDA Launches Online Guide To Make Most of Digital Learning
- WNET | Education: Meet Larry Cocco – SETDA State Leader of the Year
- Education Week: Doug Levin, Voice on Ed Tech, Leaving State Advocacy Organization
- Education Week: Obama Calls For Stronger Protections on Student-Data Privacy
- Education Week: Idaho Schools Face Potential Tech Crisis Over Broadband Issue
Other Related Stories
- SETDA Announces Interim Executive Director Lan Neugent to lead organization
- Need Digital Learning Resources? Leverage SETDA’s Guide to Implementing Digital Learning
For an up-to-date archive and chronicle of notable SETDA mentions online and in the press, be sure to visit the In the News section of our website.