SETDA in the News: October 2014 Round Up
November 18, 2014 by Lia Dossin
October was a particularly busy month for SETDA as we hosted our annual Leadership Summit and Education Forum from the 26th-29th in the Washington, DC area. Our annual Leadership Summit is a unique event designed by and for state and national education leaders, focused on the full range of policies and practices necessary to advance K-12 education through the effective use of technology. This year’s event was attended by over 74 state representatives drawn from 43 U.S. states and territories. For more about the event, see the 2014 Leadership Summit section of our site.
During the Summit, SETDA presented awards to those advancing learning in the digital age. Our congratulations to the 2014 honorees:
- SETDA Leader of the Year: Laurence Cocco, New Jersey Department of Education
- Federal Policymaker Award: Congressman Jared Polis
- Student Voices Award: Madison Consolidated High School’s Digital Leadership Team.This video was created by the 2014 Student Voices winners to recap to their trip to Washington, DC.
Here is a snapshot of some of the news stories referencing SETDA news and views during the last month, including a few that covered issues addressed during our Leadership Summit:
- nola.com: Louisiana Common Core Test Changes Announced by Education Superintendent John White
- State Scoop: Student Data Privacy Debate Heats up at SETDA Forum
- eSchoolNews: States Answer Access, Equity Challenges
- eSchoolNews: 5 Ways to Make Progress with Student Data
- Getting Smart: Smart List: 45 Advocacy Orgs Making a Difference
- EdTech Magazine: Are Districts Ready for New Assessment Standards?
- Hawaii Supporting Educators through Online Professional Learning Networks
- SETDA Honors Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado with Federal Policymaker Award
- Laurence Cocco of New Jersey Honored as SETDA 2014 State Leader of the Year
- Indiana Students Showcase Digital Leadership for National Education Leaders
For an up-to-date archive and chronicle of notable SETDA mentions online and in the press, visit the In the News section of our website.